On Friday 21st November, Bierton held a road safety awareness day. As the theme was 'looking out for each other', the children all came to school in bright, high visibility accessories such as hats, scarves and vests. In the morning, each class took part in an activity to recap about the importance of road awareness and prepared something to share in a whole-school assembly! The activities varied from a road safety animation, posters, cycle maintenance, writing information texts and a song.
To kick-start our road safety week, our Junior Road Safety Officers created and delivered a Powerpoint presentation to the whole school.
The JRSO's learnt how to deliver a great assembly at the JRSO fun day and put these skills in action by producing an informative and inetresting assembly for the rest of the school.
Throughout this school year, we will be working towards achieving our Bronze Travel Plan Award to equip our children to stay safe as they travel to and from school. These are some of the initiatives that we will be doing to raise awareness of road safety:
- Walk to school week
- Walking reward schemes – go for gold (all year round)
- Cycle training Y5/6
- The Big Pedal – cycling and scooting competition 2nd May 2015
- Bike to school week – June
- Bikers breakfast – during bike to school week
- Bike maintenance – during bike to school week
- Footsteps training – pedestrian skills Year 2
- Scooter skills – road safety skills
- Truck road safety programme - March 11th
- Road Safety Week 17th-23rd November. This Years theme 'Look out for each other'